Sunday, August 3, 2008

Warren Zevon (1947-2003)

Here's the third part of my series, a fellow who needs little introduction to those who came of age in the late 1970's, when Zevon's music started  getting some serious air play.  Friends and myself in High School could disagree on many artists, but it seemed Mr. Zevon was a universal favorite.  His 1978 album,    "Excitable Boy", was both very funny and quite gothic, especially the title tune, which was unsettling and funny as a send-up of all the teenager-angst songs of the rock era. "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School" followed and it was just as edgy and disco-free as one could hope at that time.     

Mr Zevon was the son of a small-time LA gangster with Russian-Jewish roots and a Mormon mother originally from Salt Lake City, Utah(!)   He had his ups and sons in his career, and cancer claimed him all too soon. But few artists went to their final resting with as strong an album as "The Wind" featuring Bruce Springsteen and many, many others helping him out with great songs like "Disorder in the House" and "Knocking on Heaven's Door".  
The second video here is his last performance on television, playing one of his earliest hits on "Late Night with David Letterman".             









16 comments:

  1. I've never heard Warren Zevon before Doug, it may be that I missed him while I was in the Middle East from 1977-80, but I suspect that he is not widely known in the UK.
    "Mr Zevon was the son of a smal-time LA gangster with Russian-Jewish roots and a Mormon mother originally from Salt Lake City, Utah" Only in America lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're telling me, AA! Even for the USA's "Great Melting Pot" that is rare. I'm glad I could introduce you to a bit of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thanks for that Doug....he is an interesting character and a cool musician.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warren Zevon never made it to New Zealand either, so this was all new to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked Wikipedia and he did tour Australia and New Zealand in the early nineties with a band called "The Odds". However, owing to the fact that his career had been commercially underwhelming for over a decade--due to record label problems and alcoholism--I imagine his tour down there was considerably "under the radar" as they used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol he was under my radar anyhow...

    Mind you, in the early nineties I had baby twins to look after - a lot of stuff went "under my radar" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaahoo!!!!!!!!!! I am a huge fan of Warren Zevon. I first started listening to him when I was in college. Great choice of music today my friend.
    Aaahoo!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol....I'll take that as a positive--thanks Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't recall this guy's music. I always find it exciting to find a new artist (new to me), to explore, as I do a new poet!

    Thank you Doug!

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked up the lyrics online and that is how the spelled the howling bit of American Werewolf.
    We used to go to a piano bar when I was first married. They played this song regularly. It was quite amusing seeing 100+ drunks howling. Thanks for sharing the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome. If only Lon Chaney, Jr, had lived to see that scene you describe ... so many drunks howling like werewolves would have brought a tear to his eye I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A tear to his eye from laughing his arse off at the sight

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love this guy--Werewolves In London was a true classic! thanks for sharing,how ya been these?!
    Hugs, G

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doing better Gina. Thanks for asking. Good to see you're back on the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad sweetie--been singing too on Sims--Did Cat's In the Cradle just for the hell of it--thinking about getting old--Have a sweet relaxing evening,Ciao!

    ReplyDelete