Monday, August 4, 2008

Dinah Washington, "Queen of the Blues" (1924-1963)

This fourth part of the series I wanted to devote to Dinah Washington a lady from a slightly earlier era than the first artists I covered. She has one of the sexiest voices I think I've ever heard and ranks as one of the best jazz vocalists ever.  Dinah's most famous song was "What a Difference a Day Makes" (1960) and she also did a couple great duets with Brook Benton, including "Baby (You've Got What It Takes)" 1961.  She started her career as Ruth James and began recording in 1943.    Other memorable songs she did included the classic "Blue Gardenia", which was featured in "The Bridges of Madison County" (1997) with Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood.

 Dinah was married seven times in her short life, and, therefore, must have been as romantic as many of her songs.   Jazz critics consider her style a link between the original blues of Bessie Smith and the rhythm and blues of Aretha Franklin.  

The first one I include is one of my personal favorites, "September  In the Rain".  I originally heard this when it was covered by Frank Sinatra.  His version is "pretty good", don't get me wrong, but i think Dinah's voice gives it an added poignancy.  

 

The second video shows her performing "All of Me"  at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. It was the only color footage I could find of Dinah singing.       

 

 

11 comments:

  1. I think this is beautiful. I'm afraid I'm not much of a Frank Sinatra fan, so this recording does it for me every time. The other great lady I'm a fan of is, Billie Holiday. What a rich legacy of music these people have left us!

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you mentioned Billlie Holiday, Cassandra. She certainly deserves mention on any short blog about the Blues. A lot of people have reservations about Mr. Sinatra in one form or another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not appreciate her the way you do. She is a good singer but I never really enjoyed her music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you don't want that "Dinah's Greatest Hits" CD for your birthday then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a six pack of Anchor steam and a sandwich

    ReplyDelete