Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ennio Morricone, Sergio Leone, Clint Eastwood - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"




"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" was the third of the genre-changing "Spaghetti Westerns" that Sergio Leone made with Clint Eastwood in the mid-1960's. It is their best film and the most uncompromising epic about the West that had been made since John Ford's "The Searchers".
The graphic gun-slinging violence is not for every body's taste, but I think the film holds up better with more viewings than almost any other action film of that time. Part of the reason is that it is a Western and can operate on a mythic landscape the way the Greek plays of Sophocles contain stories of horror and tragedy but can be removed from current realities. (Forty-plus years on, this film probably would be considered worthy of a audience- inclusive PG-13 rating.)

The actors' are quite perfect for their parts. Eastwood as "the good" amoral bounty hunter takes his laconic and detached persona to a height he couldn't achieve on his own until "Unforgiven" came along in 1994. Lee Van Cleef as "Angel Eyes" is the total sociopath, "the bad" guy who busts people up like The Devil's Advance Man on a holiday.
Eli Wallach provides the needed comic relief as Tucco, a bandit and killer who is the most afflicted by the one thing that drives this movie--greed. These three men must find a cache of lost Confederate gold hidden in a graveyard, and we know that splitting the loot three ways is not an option.

Two other important elements in this movie transfer it above the status of a typical violent Western--one is the flawless way director Sergio Leone created a Western landscape in the deserts of southern Spain that looks both authentic and exotic at the same time. The other is the music of Ennio Morricone. Here he recreates the opening theme as he conducts a full orchestra in Munich from a 2005 television special.

12 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of the Clint Eastwood "spaghetti westerns" and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was my favorite. The music was fantastic. It has definitely transcended time and crossed cultures. Here is a British adaptation of the musical theme. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the ukulele version is superb--you kind of expect it to be just funny at first but it really is evocative of the original. We are of like minds on "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". The Leone-Eastwod Weserns spawned a lot of imitations, but the originals are still the ones to watch. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have this single, it is one of the truly great film soundtracks. I find it hard to analyse the attraction of these films, they just don't fit with th Magical Mystery Tour and the peace movement, but my friends and I loved them. I think it was the sheer malevolence of the violence that was so fascinating, but I also think it was the anarchy of the man with no name and the perverse morality he represented that held us in it's thrall. The music accentuated that existential imminence of extinction, the films would not have made the impact they had did... if the incidental music had been 'Chopsticks' or the 'Birdy Song'.
    This was a sort of murderous Mariachi which perfectly conjured up the unforgiving sun glare, the instant karma and the circling vultures....they had inspired in me a similar Gothic dread and delicious angst as Victorian graveyards had done when I was a young child. A few years ago I visited the film set in Almeria province in Southern Spain where I arrived by sleeper train from the French border. When I boarded the train everywhere was green and pastoral, the next morning when I opened the blinds of the sleeping compartment it was like being on another planet, with sun bleached white rocks and huge cacti slipping by to the beat of the wheels....and that infernal sun beating down.....magic. The only thing missing was this wonderful soundtrack, if I do this journey again I really must take that music with me. Thanks for posting it Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful a soundtrack. I'm not a girl for Westerns though. I lean more towards the arty type of film. I loved Fellini and the moody films he directed.

    I have seen this film and admit it was enjoyable. I did love the dual at the end, the exchange of looks that seemed to go on forever. Eastwards cigar getting smaller and smaller, as he half smoked half chewed it. The much hovering of the men's hands, as close as each of them dared to their gun belt, the music ever mounting the tension. Sergio Leone, knew what he was doing, haha.

    Thank you for the reminder, Doug.

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is certainly a major part of the appeal of this film for me--the ominous operatic music of Morricone combines with Leone's pictorial of a distant past filled with rootless and nasty men---there is something gothic and morbid about the whole sardonic spectacle. The mythic background of Leone's West is all important. When American directors like Don Siegel and Eastwood tried to transplant that elan to a modern urban setting in movies like "Dirty Harry" (1971) and "Magnum Force", it becomes more disturbing and frankly reactionary.

    Interesting word-picture impressions,as always, on your travels. I've often wondered what places like Alemira were like. In the 1960's a lot of American and European film companies,of course, made a beeline to Franco's Spain for those cheap location costs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I said, I realize this is not a movie for all tastes...nearly three hours of this material is a lot for someone who prefers something more sublime...but I'm glad you enjoyed that great triangular gunfight and the stuff about Eastwood's cigar chomping minimalist acting was dead-on. I loved to see Morricone working with that orchestra; the music excels all by itself, as does his more enchanting music like that found in the more recent "Cinema Paridiso".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do feel the music actually made the film. Try taking it away! This is the kind of film that one sees another gem of acting technique every time you watch it. Although only seeing it properly once, I have watched clips on utube many times. * smiles at the thought of seeing it for free*

    Thank you Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always have loved ole Clint--Classic all the way--those movies were on last month--was it his birthday, or somethin? How was your weekend going? Weather's been fantastic as of late--cool nights/balmy days--the moon is like a beacon outtonight--hope you can see it where you are,sweetie.Bela sera! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clint was born on May 31st,so that's not it, but you'd sure think so. I think it because his action films get good ratings. His career span as a star is enormous.

    The weather in Oregon has been 100+ degrees this last week so I'm looking forward to the cooler days reported to be ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My towns Softball team was out in Portland for the world Series of Softball Tournament--unfortunately they lost and came home with third--but that's in the nation--Amazing!
    John Wayne was on last week --The Long Journey Home was on and hadn't seen that one in forever!
    They don't make em like that anymore--although I was impressed with Dark Knight & the new Indy flicks--so there may be hope--Good night ,sweetheart--take good care, Hugs, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Orchrestra - Musical Score . EVERY Movie, I've Ever seen by Sergio Leone, I Feel, is ABSOLUTE GENIUS ! ! ! Thanks 4 Posting/Sharing !! B.T.

    ReplyDelete