Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Three From Glenda Jackson

Glenda Jackson, one of my favorite actresses, is best known in America for winning two Academy Awards for Best Actress in the frank (for its time) adaptation by KenRussell of   "Women in Love" (1969) and in the well-received romantic comedy "Touch of Class"in 1973. 

 

She had a reputation for fearlessness in the theatre and I suppose that comes across as well in her current job as MP for Hampstead and Hammersmith in the Labour Party. ( Where she reportedly  given grief to the government over the Iraq War.)  

Here she is in the film version of "Mary, Queen of Scots" (1971). playing Elizabeth, a figure she had already done well with in the BBC television version, "Elizabeth R".  Here she and Venessa Redgrave have it out queen to queen in an encounter that is not based on historical accuracy but calls out for in a story about two strong women having a bit of a tiff over ruling the odd kingom or two.    

Here she is taking on a slightly more modern role, as a smart and urbane Londoner having a serious and ultimately unworkable affair with a rather obnoxious American businessman (George Segal). Not one of her "great' roles" but this is the best non-comic scene in the film.

Here she is on a morning talk show, "Today" , with a brief clip of her from a 1988 Broadway production of "Macbeth".  There are several other interesting films she appeared--John Schesinger's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (1971) which is one of the earliest films that depicted homosexuality in a mature light, as well her fine work as a loner united with another animal lover to free a pair of sea turtles from a zoo in "Turtle Diary" (1972) with Ben Kingsley, as  a lady with a bit of a problem with pistols in "Hedda Gabler" (1975)  alongside Alan Bates as a shell-shocked soldier renewing a lost love in "Return of the Soldier" (1985).

      

 

 

9 comments:

  1. Shall have to come back to this one Doug as it's early hear and have little time but shall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting lady, indeed. I myself would rather spend my time and efforts in support of new technologies, such as renewable energy, than waste my time, talents and energies in political parties that cater to their self-interest groups. In retrospect, it's easy to give the government grief over the war in Iraq, which is no longer a war. What about giving grief to Haliburton and Monsanto instead, Glenda?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good points, Red. I'm more of a fan of Jackson the actress than a follower of her political career. I think like most fans, I wish she had stayed in the theater and films and the like. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never a fan of her as an actor, mainly I suppose because I did not ever like the sort of films she made rather than her as a performer I guess. Whilst not sharing many of her political views I do admire her as a conviction politician. She says what she thinks and fights for the issues she cares about, and from what I hear of her, she fights for her constituents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which is all someone can ask for in a representative I suppose, Jim. It's the ones who change their minds (and their parties) when it suits their personal ambitions I find most contemptible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really never gave her much thought

    ReplyDelete
  7. She did make some very good films, Fred, but her career admittedly went rather 'under the radar' by the late-Seventies

    I first saw her in "Touch of Class" and norticed she was good in several films, some of which ordinarily weren't my cup of espresso.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's the only MP I've seen with no clothes on, I think we should see them of all in the buff, especially the ones who supported full body scans at airports. One good turn deserves another I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Yes, in the interests of full-disclosure--turnabout is fair play. If they can see us everytime we get on a plane...

    How long will it be I wonder before street surveilence equipment has full body scan capabilty?

    Ms. Jackson, by the way, was the first Best Actress winner to have done a nude scene in her role.

    ReplyDelete