Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Macbeth"-- Risk Taking and the Art of Sticking It to Others

Rating:★★★★
Category:Other
I saw a recent production of "Macbeth" at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. The play starred Peter Macon as the gallant and brave Scottish Thane who gets a bum steer from three witches in the smoky aftermath of the battle. Our Thane gets a couple of the witches' predictions fulfilled and he falls hook, line and sinker for the idea that he will be king. His friend, Banquo isn't so sure about these witches. He's the smart one.

Macbeth, as you might remember from school, then makes the mistake of going home to tell his wife. Lady Macbeth (Robin Goodwin Nordi) is as big a social climber as he is--maybe a little bigger.
Let's her what she has to say about getting ahead in Medieval Scotland


"Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts! unsex me here,
And fill me from the crown to the toe, top-full
Of direst cruelty; make thick my blood,
Stop up the access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
The effect and it! Come to my woman's breasts,
And take my milk for gall, you murdering ministers,
Wherever in your sightless substances
You wait on nature's mischief!"

Talk about a desperate housewife! She does help him in his murderous affairs. And, as he loses his conscience, Lady Macbeth gets her own back. Of course, she also goes a mad, so in a way Macbeth and his wife sort of intersect in their character arcs. She kills herself, he gets morose, then he loses his head--literally.

Macbeth is a fun play to watch because it has a lot of action and sword play. The best scene in this play was when the actor playing MacDuff discovers that his wife and children have been killed by the tyrant Macbeth. The actor did it so well, playing the grieving family man now with no family, that it made one feel it couldn't have been done better.

Maybe not one of Shakespeare's greatest tragedies--it was not popular in its time with playgoers apparently--but I'm sure the sorcery-obsessed James got a kick out of it.

Although the professional reviews were lukewarm for this production, I was impressed by the acting, the dark sets that were made up to look like old lava beds surrounding the battlefields and the castle set , and the way the witches, ghosts and demons were presented. This was the first time I had seen "The Scottish Play" in live theater. It was written in 1606, three years after King James VI of Scotland united Scotland and England as James I. Old King Jim was big on witchcraft and apparently wanted a play to celebrate the legitimacy of his reign and the successful discovery of the nefarious Gunpowder Plot, which came close to blowing up the Parliament in November, 1605. (The Catholic Plotters, led by a certain Robert Catsby, a few other Catholics who wanted payback for the suppression of their religion, and an explosive expert named Guy Fawkes--for whom the holiday of course was named after--were all apprehended shortly before they could carry out their plans. They and a couple underground Jesuit leaders in England who got rounded up in the hysteria that followed--were summarily tortured, then drawn and quartered and executed as traitors.) But the play is set about 300 years earlier in the history of the Island, at a point just before James' distant relations come into the line of succession for king of Scotland.

All in all, a good show and a nice bit of a historical reminder that ambition without ethics will almost always lead to a bad end. By the sword or in the Federal Pen, as is the case for certain men of Wall Street in our own times.



Here's the director, Gale Edwards, veteran of Broadway and London productions, talking about the play:



18 comments:

  1. Doug I`ve seen lots of Shakespeare. I think he is wonderful. I saw Macbeth about ten years ago at Stratford with Anthony Sher in the lead. I also did Macbeth for my A level English back in the sixties.Its a monumental tragedy and I blame Lady Macbeth totally, a nasty bit of work goading her husband to become a multiple murderer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been around this time that people were slaughtering witches too. I guess theatre was much like telly today, reflecting the anxieties and issues of the society lol. have never actually seem MacBeth so I can't really comment about the play as such.

    It was a little unespected to hear an Aussie accent on the video clip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine Sher gave quite a perfromance--his "Richard III" is legendary.

    You say you did "Macbeth" for A-Level English. Was that an oral examination or did you do a report or essay analyzing the play? I'm never was sure about the difference between A and O Levels. In my schools, you got graded, then tested on The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and given a number between 400-800 on English and Math for part of your college placement.

    Here's a link to the webpage for the current production by the way. There is a production clip on the site if you wanted to see what the show looked like.

    http://www.osfashland.org/browse/production.aspx?prod=159

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have written that this was the first production of "Macbeth" I'd seen in live theater. I've seen a few television productions.

    I think you're right, Iri Ani, in that this play was generated out of anxiety. The Protestant majority in the theaters wanted to see a play about rebels and tyrants getting their just desserts. And of course the new Stuart King wanted a play that further legitimized his hold on power. A lot of the play deals with the matter of "equivocation"--people hiding their true loyalties in obscure language. There is a new play called "Equivocation" coming here next month that will explore and conjecture on the pressures Shakespeare and The King's Men Players had in creating the play, both in pleasing a diverse audience at the Globe and still staying clear of confinement the Tower of London or a trip to Tower Hill for a radical haircut. (There were some major playwrights in Elizabeth's time who did some time in prison and, in one case, tortured on the rack. for writing officially-displeasing or satirical material.)

    Yes, I was surprised that Ms. Edwards was from Australia (with stops in London and New York City) as well. It's good that we are getting more international talent coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha,,,,but what was the role of Lord Robert Cecil..aka Vicomte Cranborn aka Lord Salisbury?

    As Gale Edwards says... which character in the plot should we concentrate on here?

    I've never seen a live Macbeth myself but it is on my wish list, sounds like you had a great evening Doug.

    Another factor to be borne in mind I think is that there is some strong suggestion that Shakespeare was himself a Catholic..... and so the plot thickens.

    Thanks for the great review of the play and the plot, if ever a production coincides with when I'm not at work or in bed I would definitely like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Doug - I love the three great tragedies (Macbeth, Othello & Lear) but I haven't actually been to see a production of Macbeth for over fifteen years. Something I must rectify soon methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha! Funny how some things although dressed differently are yet still the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This play will be interesting after watching Macbeth already. Are you going to see it too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I plan definately to see it. I enjoy the historic background of almost anything Elizabethan or Jacobean. I'll let you know if its any good, in case it ever swings over to NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not one that's revived over here very much either, Ian. I hope you get a good version your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you suggesting that The Gunpowder Plot was a "false flag" operation, AA? I wondered that myself after reading "Macbeth and the Witches" by the American historian Gary Wills--even though he doesn't explore that possibility directly. If you have any good sites or books on the hunchbacked Vicomte, I'd like to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another intriguing factor... recent scholarship by Stephen Grenblatt, author of "Will in the World", surmises that Shakespeare spent part of his young adulthood in the household of a Catholic recusant. This is still controversial but it does put an interesting twist on his plays, particularly "Macbeth".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doug

    I loved King Lear, Macbeth I have not seen nor readi in a long time but seems your festival is open there and you must have enjoyed it. There is nothing like seeing an actor that really does play out the part well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doug I can`t honestly remember. I`m so old that it was back in 1963. Had a look at the web site but couldn`t get the video to play. I`m hoping to see Hamlet with Jude Law in the lead in May or June this year. Its a production which is coming to London`s West End.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's one advantage to live theater--that sense of real-time connection between audience and performer. I'm not as big a theater-goer as many, but I've felt that a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I envy you Jeff. That's the place to be to see the best of Shakespeare's works I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Macbeth is a great play. I went to see an amateur production of it last year. The stage hands created so much smoke, that the actors could have been performing, Noddy and Big ears behind it! I know they were trying to introduce atmosphere, but the smog got out of hand and raised a few titters.

    Thank you Doug, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Macbeth has its share of "fair and foul" atmosphere, Cassandra. This production has its share of smoke--there was a warning about this on the playbill so as not to alarm the viewer---but things were under control.

    The production I saw was with quite a few high school students--they come up on buses for day or weekend trips from California for a bit of a English Lit field trip--and some titters came when the "Three Weird Sisters" showed up. I think the bloody specter of Banguo's Ghost shocking Macbeth at the dinner scene had them apprehensive.

    ReplyDelete