Tuesday, July 1, 2008

THE SOGGY BOTTOM BOYS -"Man of Constant Sorrow", from OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU (2000)




So far, this is my favorite Coen Brothers film, perhaps because its a more humorous take-off on life than the somber terrors of, say, their more recent adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men", although that one was quite memorable.

The musical selections are an added treat to this loose adaptation of Homer's "Odyssey". It's real modern Americana to me, although as with all theCoen's films it takes its share of dark twists. George Clooney's comic performance as a "dapper-dan" Hillbilly is nearly worthy of Clark Gable in "It Happened One Night" and Holly Hunter plays a perfect supporting role as a lady who demands her husband woo her all over again. The South of the Great Depression is recaptured in all its racism, desperation, political sordidness, stark landscapes and beautiful ballads.

The main song I've discovered has been covered by everybody from Bob Dylan to Rod Stewart and Jackson Browne. Here's a bit more from Wikipedia:


The song appears in the 2000 film O Brother, Where Art Thou?, under the title "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow." Performed by the fictitious Soggy Bottom Boys in the movie, it was recorded by Dan Tyminski, Harley Allen, and Pat Enright. It was a hit in the movie for the Soggy Bottom Boys and later became a hit single in real life. It received a CMA for "Single of the Year" and a Grammy for "Best Country Collaboration with Vocals" and it peaked at #35 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart. Dan Tyminski performed this song at the Crossroads Guitar Festival with Ron Block and live with Alison Krauss & Union Station.

16 comments:

  1. A good friend of mine turned me on to this movie. It is one of my favorites now. I love both the theme as well as the music. Great post Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have speakers and can't watch video on dialup, but that is one silly movie. Such a fantastic version of things, but maybe some traces of reality made it in too.
    Used to like to play that song "Leaving Old Kentucy", but anyway, what Ise gon say is the opening tune, the convicts busting rock, was recorded by Alan Lomax in the 50s at the state penal farm below Lambert MS (not the main pententiary at Parchman), for wood-cutting, 4 axmen to a tree. The cool thing is that when they used it for the flick, they looked the old man up, Detroit or St. or somewhere, and paid him a royalty. He died not long afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this film Doug, but an interesting treatment of Man of Constant Sorrow here, a song I have known and loved since I was knee high to a grasshopper... it being a track on Bob Dylan's eponymous first album from 1962. Dylan incidentally played this song on his first national television appearance in 1963 included in the soundtrack of No Direction Home, just to add a twist of synchronicity here Doug.
    I was interested to hear in this Soggy Bottom Boys (as opposed to 'Foggy Bottom'.... the DC home of the Department of the Interior I note).... version of the song that the place he was 'born and raised'... had moved from Colorado to Kentucky for it's hillbilly incarnation.
    I was reminded of a Dillard and Clark album I haven't heard for a while now... a great version of a classic song here.... thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite movies ever, crazy as it is. I have watched it many times and it still gives me a laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This movie is definitely a favorite! Love the song and have it on my Ipod. Great selection today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody...glad I didn't go with my initial choice---the You Tube clip of Dick Cheney singing "Mr Tambourine Man" from his "Dick: Unplugged" album.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everybody--glad I didn't go with my initial choice--Dick Cheney singing "Mr Tambourine Man".

    ReplyDelete
  8. This movie was wonderful, I giggled throughout the whole movie. It reminded me of my daddy so much. He wrote a book about 5 years ago and it's set in the same time period, same kind of humor...and my daddy had NEVER seen the movie. I bought it for him for Father's Day 3 years ago and he says he watches it all the time. Just for grins,let's see Cheney belting out Mr. Tamborine Man!!! I could use the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Doug.... I want to hear Cheney sing the words:-

    "Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand,
    Vanished from my hand, left me blindly here to stand".......etc

    It would be a tonic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great movie and song...the whole soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites...

    I think the comparison of George Clooney to Clark Gable is right on the mark. I think Clooney is the closest we have these days to those classic Hollywood actors like Carey Grant and Clark Gable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that would truly be a political and cultural milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most definately. Certain male or female actors seem to be very much of their own time and others would have been stars in any era.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great movie and soundtrack, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great song and a modern movie classic!! I have this song on my Ipod and listen to it a lot. The movie was perfectly cast. I thought George Clooney did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Fred, it's the case I think where both the music from the film and the movie itself improves after each viewing; a rare treat indeed!
    .

    ReplyDelete