Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Montana to Rice--Forty Niners/New York Giants 1988 NFC PLayoff




Twenty years ago a team that had never been one of the dominant teams in the NFL rose from the ashes of mediocrity to become The Team of the Eighties. That team was my guys, the SF 49ers.

In 2007, the Niners have struggled all through the year and could easily be looking at a 3-12 record were it not for the fact that they got to barely win a couple of near-losses against the Arizona Cardinals. The offense in particular has been terrible and riddled with injuries and dumb formations and bad play calling.
It's a return to the mediocrity of the late 1970's.
Now, as the season grinds down to a playoff-free finish, the Niner offense is just beginning to show signs of life under former third-string quarterback Shaun Hill, a healthier offensive line, and running back Frank Gore.
But seeing all the blowouts this year against the men from Frisco makes one remember more wistfully the Glory Days of Coach Bill Walsh and Company. That core group of future Hall of Famers--Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott--were surrounded by a strong lineup of team mates on both sides of the ball. The Niners were a feared team in the NFL, even when they had a year without a championship. Nobody wanted to play them--now everybody does. Such is pro sports I suppose.

Anyway, to give my fellow American football fans an idea of what I'm missing, here's a memorable moment.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry your team has fallen from grace. There is always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this game. This is one of the plays where you jump out of seat and jump up and down. My brother and a few friends used to watch niner games together for many a year.

    I had Frank Gore on my fantasy football team this year, but he had a rough year lke the niners. He had a nagging ankle injury for most the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to have a fellow Bay Area refugee (and a Niner fan?) in my online circle. Yes, I too remember that moment--another great Montana comeback. Rice did a good job too come to think of it. :-) Yes, Gore has had his share of injury problems this year, whic hmust be tough on your fantasy squad because I imagine he didn't come cheap. I just read where QB Shaun Hill is questionable for the Cleveland game. The Niners may have to get a QB from a local community college or something. (I'm kidding...I hope.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Niner teams gave a lot of previously frustrated fans some great moments and great memories!

    ReplyDelete