Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Ladies of 'The Avengers'


Known better as Pussy Galore from "Goldfinger" to international fans, she was John Steed's first female partner, a recently widowed young "English Rose" named Dr. Cathy Gale. She was on the show from 1962 to 1964. Cathy Gale was perhaps the first woman on a English-language television series to play a lady who could handle herself against the bad guys with karate.
After appearing in some 40 episodes she went back to a revived career in movies.

A few choice pictures of some of the most beautiful and talented women from one of the best tongue-in-cheek action shows ever, "The Avengers".

I left out Uma Thurman from the film version of the series not because she's not pretty but because the movie is so bad myself (and most fans) don't consider it part of the show.

For those who want to find out or reacquaint themselves with the show, the best site on the web for doing just that is called "The Avengers Forever'. Even for non-fans it's a site worth checking out for the professional way Mr. David Smith put it together.

14 comments:

  1. I concur she was definately my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes 3 votes for Dame Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's unanimous. OK, that settles that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure if four really makes a quorum in this case. This is an awful small sample size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a point there. At "The Avengers Forever" website, the forum has had some titanic "discussions" over who the top "Avenger" lady is. Most favor Dame Diana, but I was surprised by how many people, especially in the UK, perfer Linda Thorson. Maybe it has something to do with when you started watching the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are right. It is the same with Doctor Who. The split gets a little funny depending on which episodes you like best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She was a beauty-I had a crush on her as a kid. I'm sure I wasn't alone. She's by far my favorite avenger and bond girl too. Of course, Steed was a perfect urbane partner for her...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remain an ardent fan of Joanna Lumley myself, the older she gets the better she gets in my book, she is wonderful in AbFab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing wrong with that. Just saw her last week in a comedy film, "Cold Comfort Farm". She can do droll comedy as well as play the outrageous reprobate, "Pasty Stone", in AbFab.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To me, Steed and Mrs. Peel are the best yin-yang combination in television history.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine too, she was ssssssssssss hot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may be right, but then, what about Sonny and Cher?

    ReplyDelete
  13. As far as comedy/variety goes, Sonny and Cher rank very high in my book. One of the best things about Steed and Mrs Peel is how there was that mystery as far as their private realtionship. We they just friends, or what have you. It was not exactly defined which made their tandem cooler than regular television couplings.

    ReplyDelete